Thursday, October 23, 2014

Who loves poetry? I do!

So the last post was in August? Well, I haven't been reading lately so I don't have a book review to share with you guys. However, I have been writing a lot recently outside of school. For some reason, poetry is my go to and I entered a poem in a contest on Poetry Soup! There were several contests to choose from and the topic for the contest I chose was writing about a religion. I chose to write a poem about Hinduism and how over the years, I have gradually changed mentally to understand the meaning of faith.

All I Know about Hinduism

Squealing,
I adorned myself
with bangles
which followed my suit
as they clinked.
Combing my hair
and placing flowers
they contained the same level of energy
as I did.
Running around
thinking I was a princess
reality: the bride was the real deal.
Tripping on the hard stone floor
a gentle hand lifts me up
puts a sweet
into my tiny hands.

Five years later
I take my seat on the tile floor.
Wearing leggings and a kurta like all others 
who sit in straight rows.
Reading from the slokas on the poster
making sure we say Om
three times before starting.
Clasping both hands
we pray toevery special guide in our lives.
Understanding how each one of them has molded us.

Five years later, I sit in front of my laptop.
Wearing sweat pants and a shirt like my sister.
Worshipping daily after taking a shower does not wash away the sins.
Having a plan for the future does not mean I know what it will turn out to be.
All I do know is I have friends up there
who will listen to me and 
who will help me.
That's all I know.

10/9/2014

I am happy to say I won this contest!:)


I encourage everyone to check this site out. If you love to write poetry, entering contests is completely free and only requires you to create an account to enter. It is a site where poets from all over share their ideas. I can't wait to upload some more of my poem on this site for others to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment